AddThis

Sunday, August 14, 2011

This might just be the most versatile recipe ever - Zucchini Casserole

I wanted to share this one while zucchini is still very prolific. This is a fabulous recipe if you have a garden, know someone with a garden, or just want to take advantage of zucchini while it is cheap and delicious!  This dish calls for 6 cups zucchini - for perspective, zucchini bread usually calls for 1-2 cups.

This is a really yummy, inexpensive dinner (it costs me ~$6 for the whole pan). It can also be pretty healthy, depending what ingredients you use. This recipe is a wonderful way to use up whatever you have on hand... aside from the zucchini, you can substitute the other ingredients with whatever meat, vegetables and seasonings your family likes and what you have available.


Zucchini Casserole
Serves 6

1 lb hamburger (I used 92% lean) or sausage - I am sure it would also be great with chicken but I haven't    tried it yet
1 medium onion, diced
1 package seasoning (I have used taco), OR 1-2T of the seasonings of your choice
1-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 green pepper, diced
4 oz. can mushrooms
6 cups shredded zucchini
1 can cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup (I even used 1 1/2c. marinara sauce once for the liquid instead of the soup - you can be creative!)
Salt and pepper to taste (I only use pepper because the seasoning is very salty)
8 oz. shredded cheese - any flavor

Brown meat with onion in a skillet; then add seasoning packet. Once meat is cooked, layer everything in order listed in a 9x13 baking dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, or until casserole is cooked through and cheese is browned.

* Note: this recipe was heavily inspired by a recipe I saw in the newspaper by Lovina Eicher (aka: The Amish Cook)

1 comment:

  1. We made this last week and it lasted four nights! It was really good, though I have learned that Mike is a much faster zucchini grater than I am:)

    ReplyDelete