AddThis

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Fast, yummy, nutritious meat + veggie pasta sauce

I made some manicotti today, and it turned out great. I started with a couple of recipes for inspiration, but adapted pretty liberally based on what we had on hand so the end result was an original creation. I will definitely make it again. Manicotti or any baked pasta is a great make-ahead meal, but the dish as a whole is not my fastest or easiest recipe, so I thought I would just share the sauce recipe today.

This will jazz up a simple pasta night in the time it takes to boil and cook pasta! Dinner will be ready in 20 minutes flat.

Stick with lean ground beef or turkey, and serve with whole grain pasta and a salad to keep the meal extra healthy and balanced.

Gina's meat and veggie pasta sauce
Serves 6

3/4 lb. gr. beef, turkey or sausage - I used a combination of turkey and sausage because that is what I had.
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 serrano or jalepeno pepper, minced (optional)
1-2 small zucchini or squash, shredded and patted dry with a paper towel
1 c. kale, blanched for 1-2 min. in boiling water, then thinly sliced. (Or, use a green pepper, diced. I just happened to have kale today)
1 24 oz. jar marinara sauce
1 t. Italian seasoning
Salt and pepper to taste

Brown and crumble meat in a large skillet. Then add vegetables (except kale, if using) until cooked, 3-5 minutes. Add marinara sauce and seasonings, and cook just until heated through; stir in kale if using. Serve with pasta and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment